Friday, September 6, 2013

Elements of Educational Technology

Greetings,

This week we had the opportunity to react to the AECT article on the Definition of Educational Technology by choosing one to three elements that we considered most important in the field of educational technology (See assignment description).  It was difficult to narrow down the focus to just a few of the elements of such a comprehensive definition, but I tried to capture what I felt was the most important essence.

 ~ Please read my response document below or click here ~


In reflecting on this current definition, it is evident that the definition of educational technology is dynamic and strives to stay in line with current educational philosophies in practice.  That is, as the education system moves (or tries to move) toward a constructivist, cognitive-based, student-centered classroom, the purpose of educational technology shifts in tandem with the new teaching styles and learning goals. The current definition echoes these postmodern influences.


One of the things I was most surprised to read about in the article was that the AECT actually had a definition for educational technology as far back as 1963.  I know it sounds naïve, but when I think of a classroom in the 1960’s, the most high-tech device I can think of is a slide projector.  The technologies they must have been referring to were inevitably different from the computer simulations and social media our students are working with today.  Therefore, it’s only natural that their influence back then was much more reigned-in and focused on control.  Overall, I felt it served as a great contrast that the article spent a lot of time discussing the way educational technology used to be defined (e.g. more about student retention with less focus on skills transferable to the real world). I appreciated the authors’ viewpoint “if learners don’t use the knowledge, skills, and attitudes outside the classroom, what is the point of teaching them?” (p. 4).  I think it’s good that we are moving away from this “inert” knowledge.


In every aspect of the definition, we see a transition away from what the teacher is doing to what the student is doing.  This is something I often forget about in my own practice. My lesson plans should not be script for me.  The activities I present should not involve students "going through the motions" of acquiring knowledge.  Rather, education should be a struggle for my students.  Utilizing technology to work through that struggle is a positive and enriching part of the learning process.  Making sense of something is more relevant that memorizing and relaying it.

That’s why, as I work through this course, I aim to broaden my initial goal from gaining technology skills that aid in content delivery to include (and emphasize) helping my students find good technology and learn to use it to solve a problem or increase their understanding.  In its modern definition, educational technology is exploratory.  It is no longer in favor of instructional routines.  Good technology promotes active, open-ended learning.  Although I am still a little uncomfortable with that teaching style in its full implementation, I know it's best for the students and best for the profession.


Another thing I was pleased to read was that the modern professional field of educational technology uses authentic environments and the voice of practitioners as well as researchers. It’s not just theory and statistics.  Nor is it tainted by commercial conglomerates. It’s lively and engaging and highly embedded in the real work of teaching practitioners.  Just as any good teaching strategy or philosophy should, it appears to be rooted in “objective” research results just as much as “subjective” professional experience. It’s a very hands-on, approachable field of education.

Being a big advocate of "hands-on" learning, I hope to learn more about pilot programs that I might be able to take part in to contribute to the research in this field.  I also aim to be more actively involved in blogging (and other social media platforms) to promote, share, and give evidence of the effectiveness of technology in the classroom.



References
Association for Educational Communications and Technology (AECT) Definition and Terminology Committee. (2004, 1 June). The Definition of Educational Technology. 

1 comment:

  1. Erica, I really enjoyed reading your paper. You really put a lot of thought into your responses. I especially likes your thoughts around being appropriate. This is something I have been struggling with as a teacher. When I look for free resources I rarely find anything that doesn't include advertising. I feel that my students are so exposed to advertising and marketing in general that the last place they need to see more of it is at school.

    ReplyDelete