Wednesday, September 25, 2013

RSS in Education

This week we had the opportunity to learn about RSS (Real Simple Syndication), RSS feeds, and RSS feed readers.  Through the assignment, we explored ways in which we could utilize this technology in the classroom to enhance communication, increase efficiency, and promote collaboration.  I have summarized my discoveries and suggestions in this Prezi presentation.

This Prezi includes my YouTube screen tutorial of using Feedly.com in the classroom. (I have posted it below, as well, for reference.)  Please note that if the captioning track I've edited and added does not appear in this small window, you will have to view it through YouTube.com and select the "CC" option at the bottom of the viewing frame.


In this presentation I have explained what RSS is, its general purpose, where it can be found, and several specific ways that teachers and students can use it educationally.  The video component highlights Feedly.com as a feed reader.  I demonstrate how to find RSS feeds, add them to the aggregator, establish categories, sort through the results, and mark or save posts. I also include several examples of using RSS feeds as a means of:
1) professional development (staying on top of education trends and research),
2) keeping track of activity on students' blogs,
3) sharing class information with students, and
4) making it easy for students to correspond and collaborate with their peers.

Through this assignment I learned that RSS feeds aren't just email subscriptions.  In many ways they are like interactive, user-friendly, and dynamic bookmarks that are accessible from anywhere.  They gather updated posts that are important to me even when I'm away from the computer.  Gone are the days of mile long bookmark lists on my web browser.  I am a RSS convert!  I know using Feedly.com will keep me organized and more current in my profession.

After reflecting on how my students could use RSS in their experience, I have decided to help my students set up learning blogs.  I will then demonstrate how we can establish our interactive digital community.  We will then begin to share assignments, notes, reflections, links, and important reminders with each other.  These will all be visible with a click of a button!  This is just one step in the process of converting to a paperless community.  I think my students will be enthralled with the idea that their feed reader is doing most of the "work" for them!

The next thing I hope to learn more about is how to compile my RSS feeds onto a personalized website.

With regard to creating this artifact, I was thrilled to learn how to use "Screencast-o-matic", a tool that allowed me to record events taking place on my monitor with audio narration.  This was something I had never endeavored before, and was surprised not only by its ease of use but by its quality and versatility.  I can see how valuable this will be going forward in creating tutorials for my students or for promoting peer teaching in my classroom.  Working with Prezi has not come as naturally to me, and as much as I love that presentation software, I've yet to master its nuances.  I am not 100% satisfied with the final product of this presentation, but I did feel it was a dynamic, visual way to present a lot of background information regarding RSS and RSS in the classroom. Hopefully I will build my Prezi skills to create more professional-looking deluxe "slideshows" in the future.  I was excited that it was so easy to insert my YouTube video at the end, however, and I thought that was an effective finishing touch.

No comments:

Post a Comment