Sunday, April 5, 2015

EdTech 523: Assessing Discussions

Assessing Discussions in the Online Class

Discussion Directions:
For this week’s activity, please refer to Analytic vs. Holistic Rubrics in Module 4. Summarize the main differences between analytic and holistic rubrics. Decide which type of rubric you would prefer to use for an online discussion and explain your reasoning. Share a rubric that someone in your group either created or found online and determine whether it is an analytic or holistic rubric. In your post, describe the evidence for your determination.
Our Group Discussion Post:




My reply to a peer: They may be faster to implement, but I know a lot of training and practice is required of a teacher/evaluator to properly/objectively utilize holistic rubrics to assess free-response standardized tests. Their scoring practices have to be "calibrated" to ensure uniformity as well. It's quite the process! I had to go through a bit of a process to become a Cambridge Primary Science exam scorer (which I never ended up doing), and I know the Alberta exams require a very elaborate training program of their scorers too. In my opinion, I think the analytic rubric makes things a little easier on the teacher -- and it's easier to be consistent. I hear what you're saying about the feedback, however. If think if the holistic rubric is worded right, it has many analytic elements built into its proficiency category descriptors. Plus, there's always the option to leave personalized comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment