Saturday, April 11, 2015

EdTech 523: Facilitating Active Engagement

Discussion Board Directions: "Cranium Check"
Although we may have profile pictures of students, we rarely know what they are thinking. Since we cannot see inside each person’s head (that would be scary), we need to understand that not every student is actively engaged within class, even if it appears that they are. Since we cannot interpret body language, tone, voice, etc., we must rely on other techniques. In the discussion forum this week, first select one person from the group pictured here. Identify the person by number and then create a scenario about the person. (Get creative - create an entire story or background of the person!) In other words, describe what is going on in the person’s head and correlate it to the way you perceive their engagement in the discussion pictured (the group is discussing whether or not online learning is superior to face-to-face instruction). Second, respond to one person’s scenario as the ‘instructor,’ using techniques we have learned so far (or ones you have found effective) to facilitate participation. Lastly, select a completely different discussion thread and contribute to it (i.e. play devil’s advocate, challenge the ‘instructor,’ etc.) Be sure to check back on your ‘instructor’ post as you may be challenged to respond to a ‘student!’

My Contribution to Discussion: Muriela the Go-Getter-in-Waiting... "Geez, it's tricky sharing ideas about instructional techniques when most of you guys are being stubborn and argumentative or just being grumpy nay-sayers who don't want to rock the boat or embrace change. I know I'm new to this profession, and most of you "seasoned veterans" think you have it all figured out, but I personally think there's more than one way to skin a cat here. I have a lot of ideas that would align with both face-to-face and online learning, but being a "newbie", I feel no one wants to listen to my rookie insights. It's hard to permeate this group. I sit in the front row, smile as much as possible, and try to patiently internalize all their "battles". They're nice people, but it's hard to make progress with them. They spend so much time arguing a theory and never just put something into action. I think I'll just keep my mouth shut, and just react to others' ideas for now. Being a newbie, I don't want to be ostracized! I don't like confrontation, and I also don't want my opinions to be shot down.

Alright, Pete just proposed an action plan. Hooray for Pete! We're getting somewhere! I'm gonna clap to a) celebrate, b) remind everyone that I'm still here, and c) get my blood flowing (instead of boiling!). If no one else jumps on his bandwagon, I may just have to speak up after all."

My Reply to a Peer #1: Mr. Grey is thinking that he's just not yet ready to share out about online learning. He hasn't tried it and isn't quite sure yet if it's "for him", but he's got an open mind. At this point, though he's not ready to speak about experiences or defend a position. He just wants to gather more information. Maybe he'd prefer using this time learning a new tool or skill instead of all this group talk. Maybe he's best off, for now, taking part in the group by asking questions or just taking notes. After all, participation doesn't have to always equal generative contribution.

My Reply to a Peer #2:

Your grin is wise (mischievous?), like the Cheshire cat. You clearly have something helpful to add to rescue us from our polarizing debate. Throw us a life ring - please! It's not always that the loudest voice wins. Sometimes the most sensitive, clairvoyant, and reasoned voice brings resolution. I know from past conversations that you have a very balanced perspective on this topic. Have you ever heard of the "The Tyranny of the “OR” vs. the Genius of the “AND”'? This article How to Avoid Tyrannical Decision-Makinghelps articulate that idea. In fact, Jim Collins, who coined that term, says in his online conversation:

"Having one side of this dichotomy going without the other doesn't work. In a number of professions, such as law and medicine, in academia, and in industries such as healthcare and the utilities, people have traditionally had a very strong core ideology, a strong sense of what they are doing. But they didn't do the other side well, the side of stimulation, progress, and change. Then people began to see that the world is changing. "We have got to be more efficient and effective," they said. "We have got to think about things like markets and segmentation and costs and cycle times." And that's all true.

But they get caught up in what we call "The Tyranny of the Or," the belief that you cannot live with two seemingly contradictory ideas at the same time, that you can have change or stability, you can be conservative or bold, you can have low costs or high quality -- but never both. Our visionary companies all operate in what we call "The Genius of the And," the ferocious insistence that they can and must have both at once."

How do you think that idea can be applied here? Are we at the point where we MUST have both ideas (face-to-face and online learning) at once? Why do you think this has become a "tyranny of or"-style debate in the first place? I can see you making a list over there -- perhaps it's on topic, perhaps it's not. That is further evidence that you are one of the most organized members of this group... so help us get our thoughts in order! I challenge you to lead your colleagues into an exercise where every position statement includes an "and" clause. If that doesn't come naturally, help the team by writing the ideas on the board and assist us in drawing those "AND" lines. Clearly this group needs some guidance, and it may as well come from you!

[Peer Reply to Me: Well, Professor Fuhry. I don't want to do that because then they will think that I am a know-it-all. Plus, I don't like speaking in front of my colleagues and if I stand up and write something I will be the center of attention. Do you not see me sitting outside the circle? Sorry, I will do what I have to to be successful as long as it doesn't include me saying much aloud. Deal?]

My Subsequent Response: Alright, I hear you're not up for that kind of attention and leadership. Hopefully that confidence and voice will come in time. Perhaps you could work more "behind the scenes" gathering background information to support both kinds of teaching methodologies. That might help us organize our thoughts and keep us grounded in "best practice" that goes beyond everyone's personal opinions. Find a colleague or two to work with and share your findings with the group before the next time we meet. Regarding your comment above, I'm afraid your personal success is superfluous to this discussion. We are a team and we need to work together, helping each other and contributing according to our strengths. That will make US successful. Please find some way to take part.

No comments:

Post a Comment